Dear Mayor Mitchell and Tempe City Council,
My name is [NAME] and I am a resident of Tempe, AZ. I am writing today to urge you to reduce funding for and limit the reach of the police in Tempe.
I implore you to take action on the following:
- Prioritize spending on community health, education, and affordable housing
- Reduce the size of the police force
- Suspend the use of paid administrative leave for police officers under investigation
- Withhold pensions and don’t rehire police officers involved in excessive force
- Require police officers to be liable for misconduct settlements
- Withdraw participation in police militarization programs
People are marching in the streets because they know that these actions will result in a healthier, more just society. I implore you to please listen to the needs of your constituents and take immediate action to address their concerns.
Thank you for your time,